Whether you have Christmas ornaments that belonged to a long-lost relative, or you simply have ornaments that you love, the key in ensuring that they are ready to be used every year is keeping these safe throughout the rest of the year. Christmas ornaments that are properly stored throughout the year are going to last for years to come, and who knows maybe you will be handing these down to those in your life for them to use many years from now!
With this being said, here are several tips that are meant to be used to ensure that your Christmas ornaments are safe from year to year!
1. Wrap these glass ornaments in acid-free paper or a paper towel to protect them. The more cushioning there is, the better these will be protected.
2. Ornaments should never be wrapped together. These must be individually wrapped. Glass ornaments can easily shatter when they collide.
3. Place these in a box. If you’re using a cardboard box, stuff it with extra stuffing to keep the glass ornaments safe. You don’t want to put the glass ornament right next to the box’s edge without a layer of protection. Simply moving these boxes can cause glass and ceramic ornaments to shatter.
4. Consider investing in a plastic storage box designed specifically for ornaments. It has individual slots for glass ornaments, which makes them even safer while being stored throughout the year until the next holiday.
5. Label the box so that everyone knows it contains breakable glass ornaments. Just because you are the usual person to take down and replace Christmas decorations does not mean that someone else will do it later.
6. This box should be kept on its own. Do not stack boxes on top of each other, even if you believe the box is strong enough to hold something else. This can result in a lot of broken ornaments later on when you are using these ornaments due to weight shifting on the ornaments.
7. When displaying glass ornaments, only use sturdy branches to ensure that these branches will not break. Too many times, ornaments do not make it from year to year because they are not being safely put onto the tree.
Overall, Christmas ornaments are something that are meant to last for many years, so that they can always be something that you use on your tree. With the proper care, you will find that they are going to last for many years to come.
You can follow along with our blog here.